Neighbor To Neighbor Coalition Project
The mission of Nevada Youth Alliance’s (NYA) Neighbor to Neighbor program is to build stronger communities by working with residents to empower them with resources to help themselves. Neighbor to Neighbor helps residents improve and strengthen the health, prostate safety and liveability of their community through partnerships with community groups and agencies and faith-based organizations. Every neighborhood has its own special personality. Neighbor to Neighbor is based on the belief that residents know what is best for their community and have the ability to sustain positive change.
Community Based Health Centers:
- Develop and coordinate FREE Community-Based Health Centers in partnership with the University School of Medicine Pediatrics Department for youth ages birth through 24 years old.
- Provide funding support through grant writing and fundraising activities for health center outreach services, educational materials, advertising and medical equipment/supplies.
- Referrals to other partnering health agencies for specialized tests and exams
Health Prevention Education:
- Health Prevention education for youth and their families through issue specific classes to address concerns such as obesity, nutrition, fitness, dental health, mental health, sexually transmitted diseases, smoking cessation, teen pregnancy and many other topics.
Outreach Worker Program:
- Provides 24/7 intensive case management to high risk youth ages 14- 18. NYA outreach workers facilitate a wealth of support, activities and programs to educate and mentor the youth through a 12 step component program.
Community Engagement Activities/ Programs
- A division of NYA whose goal is to develop and support broad based family/community focused initiatives and activities to help strengthen families and neighborhoods.
Annual Back to School Health/Educational Fair:
- Showcases a multitude of agencies for youth education and health related issues
- FREE dental exams, teeth cleaning and immunizations
- FREE sport physicals
- Provides information for health related issues
- Workshops for teens discussing vocational/higher educational opportunities
Arts in the Community/Family of Unity Programs: Utilization of the “Arts” as a form of “Peace & Unity”
- Expose and educate our youth to different facets of art forms and cultures
- Increasing understanding of our differences and thoughtfulness for each other and the community through art and essay contests
Get High on Kicks NOT Drugs:
- A division of NYA whose goal is to provide a unique Karate program that teaches self-discipline, education, and the sanctity of the Mind, Body & Spirit
- Discourages the use of “Drugs” by identifying it as being unhealthy for the Mind, Body & Spirit